Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Whatcha Reading Wednesday: The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is not the kind of book I typically read. When I read the synopsis (cancer, teen love, death...), I wasn't sold. But it was highly recommended by a friend, so I decided to give it a go.

Front Cover

The story centers on, and is told by, Hazel. She is 16 and has terminal cancer, but has been in remission due to a miracle trial drug that no one expected to work. Her parents are overbearing and worried she may lapse at any minute. This leaves her mom to hover and her dad to cry a lot. She isn't in high school and her only real interaction with other kids her age is from the cancer support group, which she hates. Until August, a new guy, shows up and starts helping her live a little.

I really cannot praise this book enough. The writing is amazing and witty. I love the voice it's told in. John Green did a great job capturing a teenage girl on paper. I could sometimes almost see her rolling her eyes as I read. You don't expect a book about cancer to be funny, but this one was hilarious. Hazel and August have great banters and really humorous ways of describing cancer, its treatment, and the world around them. 

Of course, in a book whose main them is cancer, you can't expect the whole thing to be a joy ride. There is pain and sadness, lost body parts, and lost people. Even with the dark aspects woven here and then and pervading the end, I didn't come away from reading this feeling down. It was a light, quick read that I would (and already have!) recommend to others.
{*Thanks Julie for recommending this book!*}

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment