Saturday, August 31, 2013

DIY Lavender Mint Sugar Scrub Cubes Tutorial

Homemade sugar scrubs aren't anything new, but I recently came across a recipe for cubed sugar scrub by The Idea Room and had to try it out. Being the non-conformist that I am, I also had to personalize the recipe a bit!

 The original recipe was for citrus scrub cubes. I like citrus scents in the kitchen, but am not a big fan of smelling like lemonade, so I decided to go with a Lavender Mint combo.
1. Because I love the smell of lavender, and
2. Because I had a butt-ton of dried mint I've been hording hanging around.

For my version, you will need:
A silicone mold (or you could spread them in a jelly roll pan i.e. cookie sheet with sides)
4 oz. of soap, chopped or shredded (I used a melt and pour olive oil soap [aka castile soap] from Hobby Lobby)
1/2 c. of oil (I used 1/4 c. of coconut oil and a 1/4 c. of vitamin E oil because I tend to have dry skin, but there is a lot of free reign here)
1 c. white granulated sugar
20 drops of lavender essential oil (EO) (it does take a good bit to balance the mint)
2 tbl. crushed dried mint


Dice the soap and melt it with the oils. I put everything in a Pyrex measuring cup and microwaved it for 45 seconds. You could also use a double boiler if you have more patience than I do.


 Add the EO and mint and stir well. Then add the sugar and mix it really fast so you can start putting it in the mold (or jelly roll pan) because it will start setting up incredibly fast (which is why there is no photo of the mixing step). I used my fingers to press it into the mold. Honestly, I don't think you have time to spoon it out unless you have octo-arms or something.

Let the mold sit for 3-4 hours, pop the cubes out of the mold, and cut
them into fourths.
Then, put them in an air tight container (mine's an upcycled jelly jar!), and spend the next hour and half scouring the internet for just the right printable label and brainstorming other scent combos =)
 

(P.S. I picked these from WorldLabel)

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment