Monday, September 9, 2013

DIY Deodorant for Sensitive Skin

I have super sensitive skin. You can look at me the wrong way, and I'll break out in hives hahaha. So finding a natural deodorant that didn't feel like an acid bath for my underarms was no easy feat, and took a lot of trial and error. But I have (FINALLY!) found a recipe that works for me. Here it is - you're welcome =)

What You Need:
3 oz. Arrowroot Powder (you can buy this online or from healthfood stores, but I got mine from the grocery store in section with all the spices)
2 oz. of Coconut Oil
1 oz. of Cocoa Butter
4 tbl. of beeswax (pellets or grated)
1 Chamomile Teabag
Essential Oil (optional)
Empty Deodorant Container (or small jar if you want to appy with you fingers)

What You Do:
1. Melt Cocoa Butter, Beeswax and Coconut Oil (use a double boiler or microwave in a Pyrex pourable measuring cup)
2. Once melted add Chamomile Teabag, submerge completely with a spoon and microwave for 1 min. Then squeeze all the Chamomile-ie goodness out using your hands or a sieve and the back of a spoon.
3. Whisk in Arrowroot Powder, add the EO if you want your deodorant to have a fragrance (I like Cedarwood Oil or Lavender, which both have awesome properties for your skin and will increase shelf life).
4. Let sit for awhile to cool. I put my Pyrex measuring cup in the fridge while we had lunch. (Don't leave it too long or it will start to solidify and you'll have to re-melt it to get it into your container).
5. Pour into your container, let cool completely to harden. If you are impatient like me, pop it in the freezer for awhile.


Note: This makes 1 cup, which will fill a conventional deodorant tube twice. I fill mine and pour the leftover mixture into two 2 oz. portion cups I snagged from Blue Coast Burrito's salsa bar (I love free scores!). When it's time to refill my deodorant tube, I pop them out of the portion cups, re-melt, cool, and refill.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment